Saturday, February 7, 2009

Taxes, FAFSA and some fun

What a day!!!!!!! We started off the day with a nice drive to Mistletoe State Park and took Bailey for a walk in the country. The drought is still very apparent when you see how low the water level in the lake is at the park! We enjoyed seeing Bailey learn all the different smells and about the water in the lake. She was curious but still very skittish. She was not too sure about rocks in the water and the mud squishing between her paws.

Then home to work on the taxes and Ben's FAFSA for next year. I think I have the taxes just about ready for the CPA we are going to use this year. With DH retiring and getting a bonus to do so, selling our old house and buying a new one, my full time and part time jobs, too many changes for this girl to do the taxes by myself. Now, the real kicker is the FAFSA! It looks like our son might be penalized for his father's retirement in that the family contribution to his education went up by $30K due to the bonus being counted as income. The jury is still out but I won't be terribly surprised by how much the government says we have to pay! If I can get all this done and ready today, I might be able to sew or stitch some tomorrow! YIPEE!!!! That is my goal for this weekend.

This past week was a trying one at work with a difficult situation but hopefully it is now resolved and we can move on. I am still looking forward to possibly retiring in 2011 from my full time position. After meeting with my retirement fund, it doesn't look like it would be to my advantage to stay longer than the 30 years. Time will tell but for now, I think I will continue to count the days down until I see that 30 year mark get closer to becoming a reality.

This past month has been a challenge for DH and I with his diabetes. His blood sugars would fluctuate a lot from before a meal to after a meal and the doctor added new medications to his regimen. DH feels like a porcupine being stuck in his fingers 5 to 6 times a day and then having to take insulin shots that often as well but hopefully we are getting it under control. Every week I fax the logsheet to the doctor and he calls me with any changes to the schedule.

We continue to pray for Will Word. He's the son of a member of our Sunday School. Will was badly wounded in a rocket attack on his humvee in Afghanistan on Christmas Eve. If you would like to follow Will's progress, here is his blog. Janet (his Mom) has been keeping us posted this way on Will's progress and any specific prayer needs.

http://wordfamilyaugusta.blogspot.com/

Well........dinner is ready and I would like to relax a bit before bedtime. More later.

1 comment:

  1. Soungs like you have been busy, busy. Glad things are going okay. Good luck on the diabetes thing. Phil does fairly well on his and we have not had to add any meds and no insulin shots, just one pill and watch what he eats. It's a pain some days though.

    Huggers gal!

    ReplyDelete